New Zealand Student Visa
Do you want to pursue full-time study in New Zealand?
If you want to move to New Zealand to study full time, you will need to apply for a New Zealand student visa.
To qualify for a student visa, you will need to enroll with an education provider approved by Immigration New Zealand and pay all costs related to the courses you take. While in New Zealand, you will have the opportunity of enjoying the high level of teaching standards offered by the country’s esteemed educational institutes while gaining qualifications recognised all around the world.
What is the Length of New Zealand Student Visa?
You will need a New Zealand student visa to pursue any full-time course that is longer than 3 months. The maximum length of the student visa is 4 years.
During the length of your stay in New Zealand on a valid student visa, you can:
- Undertake full-time study at the course stated in your visa – including English language studies, tertiary studies (undertaken after secondary school) and other approved schools
- Take up to 20 hours per week of part-time work while school is open or work full time during holidays, based on the conditions imposed on your visa
- Live on your own if you are older than a certain age, else you will have to be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian
Here are some other things to consider for a New Zealand student visa:
- You are also eligible for a student visa if you are enrolled in a correspondence or distance learning program and your education provider needs you to visit New Zealand to complete certain aspects of your education, such as undertake practical studies or take examinations
- Your children and partner can also accompany you – they will need to apply for appropriate visas depending on how they are related to you
- Your New Zealand student visa is typically of the same length as the duration of your paid study
Book a 100% free consultation with our Auckland based team of immigration advisers to discuss your case. We will be happy to provide you with the answers to any questions related to your New Zealand student visa or the visas of your accompanying family.
What are the Criteria to Obtain a New Zealand Student Visa?
Here are some of the things that you will need to furnish as part of your visa application:
- Proof of identity
- Evidence of good health
- Evidence of good character
- Proof of genuine intention to meet the conditions of a New Zealand student visa
- An offer of admission from an approved educational institute
- Evidence of financial viability to pay for your entire education, unless you are exempt
- Proof of medical and travel insurance coverage for the term of your stay – note that PhD students are excluded from this requirement
- Evidence of enough money to support your stay
- If you are under 9 years of age, you will have to provide evidence to prove you will either be living in an NZQA (New Zealand Qualifications Authority) or be accompanied by an authorized adult throughout your stay
- Information about your course, holidays and proof of any required practical course work being a course requirement
This is a huge list of evidence, data, and supporting documents to put together. Work with an immigration consultant to ensure your application does not get rejected because of errors or missing information. Book a slot with us today for a 100% free consultation to discuss all aspects of your New Zealand student visa.
It is important to note that you must hold enough money in New Zealand to support your living and your tuition costs for the duration of your visa.
In case you have been sponsored, your sponsor must:
- Make sure your living expenses are met while you stay in New Zealand
- Pay all costs if you are asked to leave the country
If you are covered by a guarantor, they need to ensure your maintenance costs are taken care of during your stay in New Zealand.
Unless your visa says, “The holder of this visa is sponsored” or “Financial evidence not required”, you may need to furnish evidence of finances on your arrival to New Zealand.
How Much Does It Cost to Get a New Zealand Student Visa?
Licensed immigration experts at NZ Immigration Help are dedicated to assisting our clients at an affordable fee. We consider all aspects of your case, including the options to finance your study, and provide you with the most cost-effective solution to help you obtain your student visa. Book a 100% free consultation with our experienced professionals now.
What Are Typical New Zealand Student Visa Processing Times?
The processing time for a New Zealand student visa application depends on various factors including the type of educational institute you plan to attend, how you plan to finance your education, any Special Direction, Character Waiver or Medical Waiver that may need to be obtained, etc.
Immigration New Zealand is currently taking anywhere between 24 to 83 days to process a typical student visa application. These times have been found to be varying by 10 to 20 days based on the conditions imposed on certain student visas.
NZ Immigration Help has been assisting international students achieve their dream of studying in New Zealand by offering them the best immigration advice for many years.